*We independently evaluate all recommended products and services based on personal use and recommendations from clients and sitters. If you click on the links we provide, we may receive compensation.
Discover the Best Pet-Friendly Cleaning Products for a Pristine Home
As devoted pet lovers at Equipaws Pet Services, we understand the importance of maintaining a clean and pet-friendly home environment. We’ve compiled a comprehensive list of our favorite pet-friendly cleaning products to help you keep your living space spotless while ensuring the safety of your furry family. Some of them are eco-friendly, fragrance-free, and all of them work great! From eliminating odors to disinfecting surfaces, these products are essential tools for any pet owner.
Very important: These cleaning products are primarily for households with dogs and cats. We’ve noted the cleaning products suitable for birds, which are extra sensitive to the inhalation of gasses. Please read carefully before purchasing and always consult your veterinarian when in doubt.
1. Force of Nature All-Purpose Cleaner and Deodorizer
Force of Nature All-Purpose Cleaner is a powerful yet gentle solution for maintaining a clean home. This versatile cleaner effectively tackles various surfaces and doesn’t have a scent. Its eco-friendly formula makes it safe for pets and humans, and it’s one of the main cleaners we use in our homes. This is fragrance-free, which makes it the top pick for those who want to stay away from fragrances due to sensitivities. There is a bit of an up-front investment, but overall you save money and reduce the use of plastic with this choice. This is dog- and cat- friendly, please check with your veterinarian about other pets.
About Force of Nature:
- It uses electricity to convert tap water plus a capsule of salt, water & vinegar into an organic multi-purpose cleaner, and deodorizer.
- This cleaner is a federal EPA-registered disinfectant & sanitizer.
- Force of Nature can be used on many surfaces: showers, toilets, countertops, mirrors, sinks, bathtubs, windows, doors, tile, porcelain, wood, plastic, vinyl, pet gear, baby gear, sports equipment, and more.
- It has zero added fragrances, dyes, preservatives, surfactants, or irritants. You don’t need to use gloves or rinse it off of pet toys.
- Recyclable Activator Capsules reduce plastic waste.
- Read more on its safety here.
2. For Rescues: REScue One-Step Disinfectant Cleaner & Deodorizer Wipes
While we love Force of Nature, we also recommend this disinfectant for rescues with multiple dogs or cats. We’ve used REScue cleaner for disinfecting crates, poop accidents, and more. We feel confident in this cleaner, as veterinarians use it to kill a broad spectrum of pathogens – including ringworm, kennel cough, canine parvovirus, and more. The wipes are quicker to use than the concentrate. This is not fragrance-free for those who have sensitivities. Please use gloves when using and check with your veterinarian before using this.
Purchase REScue Disinfectant Wipes here.
About REScue Disinfectant:
- It’s gentle on users, animals, and equipment. (Dogs and cats)
- Additionally, REScue is OSHA-compliant, requires no dilution, is a non-irritant with the lowest possible EPA toxicity rating. It does not require the use of PPE.
- This also removes fear pheromones which helps reduce stress in pets
- Ingredients: REScue is made with Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide and does not contain bleach or alcohol.
- Read the Safety Data Sheet here.
Again, this cleaner is not fragrance-free and you need to use gloves. As always, read the directions and follow them thoroughly.
3. Biokleen All-Purpose Cleaner & Bac-Out Pet Stain Remover
Biokleen is an incredibly popular plant-based pet-friendly cleaning product that works well and, because it’s a concentrate, lasts a long time. You can safely use the Biokleen Bac-Out Pet Stain Remover around your dogs and cats (but of course, always read the instructions!). Although we’ve read multiple reviews and seen forums where bird parents use it on their cages, we always recommend checking with your veterinarian before using cleaners around our sensitive bird friends.
More details on Biokleen:
- Its enzymatic formula breaks down pet stains & odors until they’re gone.
- Biokleen has no phosphates, chlorine, ammonia, brighteners, or artificial colors and fragrances.
- They use biodegradable ingredients, never test on animals, and are manufactured in the U.S.
- The concentrated cleaner is Safer Choice Certified and kind to those with chemical sensitivities or allergies.
- It has a natural citrus essence and is never made with artificial fragrances or dyes. The neutral pH formula is gentle on all water-safe surfaces.
We think this is a winner for those on the fence between Force of Nature and Biokleen in regard to price, but you decide!
4. F10 Veterinary Disinfectant
Trusting a cleaner for our pets is difficult, especially for our frogs, birds, lizards, and very sensitive older or younger fur family. F10 Veterinary Disinfectant is highly recommended and used by veterinarians, in zoos, laboratories, and many bird parents and lizard parents swear by it. While it comes in concentrated formulas, we would go with the ready-to-use bottle when first trying it and also read the instructions carefully. As always, ask your veterinarian before using this cleaner with your particular pet.
Purchase F10 Veterinary Disinfectant here.
More details about F10 Veterinary Disinfectant:
- F10 is non-corrosive, non-toxic, non-irritating, and without aldehyde, so it has no adverse effects on people, animals, equipment, or surfaces. It is effective at recommended concentrations against all types of Bacteria, Fungi, and Spores, including MRSA, Avian Influenza, Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease, Canine Parvovirus, E.coli, Aspergillus and a host of others.
- This is also biodegradable and can disinfect cages, water bowls, floors, racks, shelving, perches and toys, food preparation areas, and inside incubators, and can be used for washing eggs and decontaminating hands.
- Spray it on and leave it to disinfect surfaces after cleaning with no need to rinse off.
- Read the Safety Data Sheet here.
5. Nature’s Miracle Stain and Odor Remover
Every dog parent knows Nature’s Miracle, a trusted name for tackling urine odors. This enzymatic cleaner breaks down stains and eliminates odors, leaving your home fresh and clean with a nice scent. We always have it on hand for potty accidents! It’s not fragrance-free, in case you’re sensitive to odors.
More about Nature’s Miracle:
- The bacteria-based formulas produce enzymes when they come into contact with a food source — pet urine, feces, vomit, and other bio-based messes.
- Read the Safety Data Sheet here.
These pet-friendly cleaning products are essential tools for any pet owner looking to maintain a clean and safe living space. From tackling stains to eliminating odors, these products ensure a clean, disinfected home environment while prioritizing the well-being of your furry companions. These products are part of your whole routine to keep your pets fit, healthy, and happy. You should also regularly clean your pets’ food and water bowls and give them proper exercise, dental care, good food, and regular veterinary care.
A final word on choosing the products that best suit your cleaning needs and creating a pet-friendly oasis in your home: always run your choices by your veterinarians before using a new product. Each species has individual needs, in addition to possible conditions, that you need to take into consideration before using any chemicals in your home.
A founding member of the Equipaws family, Frankie can mostly be found working behind the scenes, helping co-create online branding, managing several social media accounts, designing brand collateral, writing copy, and managing events. She also fills in for pet sitters and dog walkers when needed in Palmetto Bay, Pinecrest, and South Miami. Her own small pack consists of Boots the Shih Tzu mix and Nutmeg the Chiweenie.