Memorial Day weekend is a time to be grateful for our troops’ sacrifices; we can’t think of a better way to commemorate their sacrifices than time spent with family and friends. Have you, like many Miamians, procrastinated with planning your Memorial Day weekend getaways? We’re happy to share five local, alternative, and family-friendly outings that will bring you closer to friends and family.
- Chocolate rules in our family- and there is nothing better than Cao Chocolate’s freshly-made artisanal chocolates. So, join us at Cao Chocolates’ Friday Night Social today, from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.! Owners Cao Trillos and Anelith Ortega welcome all chocolate lovers every month to enjoy their divine chocolate, cheeses, and wine in this family-friendly event. Parking in the back. Address: 9800 SW 77 Ave. Miami, FL 33156
- SwingLAB Wynwood at Lab Miami. Swing’s the thing in the heart of Wynwood on Saturday, May 23, from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. There will be a one hour introduction to swing lesson, and then current and vintage music from DJ Babs, and three hours of dancing for $15. Parking, alas, is not free, but is available for $1.50 an hour.Address: 400 NW 26 St. Miami, FL 33127
- The Play’s the Thing! Catch “The Book Club” at the Actor’s Playhouse! This play is close to our hearts as book people. Members of a book club let a documentary filmmaker record their meetings, which completely changes their dynamic… especially when a controversial new member joins. One critic compared this play to “Lord of the Flies with wine and dip.” We’re sold! The play runs through June 7, 2015. Address: 280 Miracle Mile Coral Gables, FL 33134
- Flying Trapeze School! You’re welcome. No, really- this actually exists within driving distance of most of you! Professional flying trapeze artists will help you feel free while you fly on the trapeze- upper body strength not required, and children as young as 6 can join. All classes must be reserved beforehand. Call 786.239.8775 to reserve your space. You can pay with your credit card over the phone, PayPal, or cash. Address: Bayfront Park 301 N. Biscayne Blvd. Miami, FL 33132
- Do you already have plans for the weekend, but nothing planned for Monday? Take a Coral Gables Waterway Canal Tour! The tour heads out from Riviera Drive down to the Bay. Catch wildlife (manatees, egrets, and alligators, oh my!), natural landscape, and historic architecture from water level. This historic canal was built by George Merrick, who would row guests from the Biltmore Hotel down to Tahiti Beach. It’s an easy paddle for adults and children 9 and up; this is not recommended for children under 5 years of age. Remember to take water, sunblock, a hat, and sun glasses. Close-toed shoes are required. The tour lasts from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., so keep that in mind when deciding on whether to take your little ones or not! Reserve your spot on Miamiecoadventures.com, or call 305.365.3018. The adventure will run you $35.00. Address: 3401 SW 72 Avenue Miami, FL 33155
We hope you enjoy your weekend!
A founding member of the Equipaws family, Frankie can mostly be found working behind the scenes, helping co-create online branding, managing several social media accounts, designing brand collateral, writing copy, and managing events. She also fills in for pet sitters and dog walkers when needed in Palmetto Bay, Pinecrest, and South Miami. Her own small pack consists of Boots the Shih Tzu mix and Nutmeg the Chiweenie.